Outgoing Participants

Congratulations on your selection as one of Indiana University's international exchange participants for the upcoming academic year. There are several important steps you will need to complete in order to ensure you have a positive, productive experience.


Prior to your departure, you may request an in-person meeting or conference call with a staff member of the Office of International Partnerships to discuss the exchange for which you have been selected. Call (812) 855-8669 or email partner@iu.edu to schedule a time.

Enrollment status at IU

Domestic students must be enrolled in at least one credit-bearing course (minimum one credit hour) at IU during your time abroad in order to retain access to IU services, including email. International students should contact OIS to determine the minimum number of credit hours required to maintain their visa status.

If you intend to receive degree credit for graduate work conducted on the exchange, contact the Dean's office at your school prior to your departure to learn about the type of credit that may be transferred and the documentation required. The Director for Graduate Studies in your school is responsible for approving transfer credits. 

All students should discuss course enrollment options with their academic advisor in their home department. The Office of International Partnerships cannot advise students on appropriate enrollment options.

As a reminder, these exchange programs do not include fee remissions or other financial aid to cover the costs of enrolling in courses or research credit hours.

NOTICE: The zero credit hour course GRAD-G597 has been discontinued effective Fall 2018.

Airfare allowance

You will receive a fellowship award to cover the cost of round-trip economy airfare to your destination. If the award is not sufficient to cover the round-trip ticket, contact the Office of International Partnerships.

The fellowship award will post to your Bursar account ten days prior to the start of the term (Summer, Fall, or Spring) that you will be traveling. If you have direct deposit set up with the Bursar, any credit balance on your student account will be deposited automatically into your checking or savings account. Depending on your travel dates, you may have to cover the cost of the airfare until the allowance is credited to your student account.

You may make your own travel arrangements, use a travel agent of your choice, or use an IU Designated Travel Agency. The IU Office of International Partnerships does not assist students with travel arrangements.

Health insurance

IU provides you with health insurance through GeoBlue at no cost during your exchange program. Read more about the benefits of this health insurance plan.

The host institution may also provide or require insurance coverage; if that is the case, the host institution’s international officer will contact you directly. 

To avoid any lapses in coverage between the time you complete the semester at IU and depart the U.S. for your exchange visit, confirm that your current health insurance coverage will continue until the policy becomes active for your exchange program. Visit the IU Student Health Insurance website for information about plans available through IU.

Completion of arrangements with host university

Once the host university has approved your exchange participation, you will be contacted by officials from the host university with details about next steps for visas, travel logistics upon arrival, student services, housing, health insurance, stipend distributions, and other related matters.

The IU Office of International Partnerships does not provide assistance with housing. Most partner universities provide a list of resources to help exchange students locate housing options. If the partner university does not provide such information, you should communicate with the exchange program coordinator at the partner university and request assistance.  

Other preparations before you depart

Subletting your apartment

Exchange students often inqure about assistance to sublet their apartments. For IUB students, there are a variety of online resources where you can list your apartment:

Students at IUPUI or a regional IU campus should email partner@iu.edu for assistance. A staff member will connect you with resources on your campus.

Requirements for traveling outside the U.S. for international students

If you are an international student on an F-1 visa, it is extremely important that you take all necessary steps to protect your status. Review the Office of International Services webpage for travel outside the U.S.


Upon Arrival in Host Country

Local contact information

Upon arrival in the host country, you must send the Office of International Partnerships the following information:

  • Physical address where you are staying
  • Mailing address (if different from physical address)
  • Email address (if you primarily use a non-IU email address)
  • Cell and/or landline phone number where you can be reached

In the event of an emergency situation or crisis (personal injury or illness, natural disaster, civil unrest, act of terror, etc.), Indiana University officials will be better equipped to assist you.

Required post-arrival report

The Office of International Partnerships requires all participants to complete a brief online report within four weeks of arrival at the host institution.

Begin the preliminary report

If you have any major, unresolvable problems with the host institution at any point during your time abroad, contact the Office of International Partnerships immediately.

Upon Return to U.S.