The IU Office of International Partnerships manages two International Scholar Houses on the Bloomington campus of Indiana University. The houses are centrally located on East 8th Street, one block north of the Indiana Memorial Union and one block east of the Mathers Museum.
The International Scholar Houses are fully furnished and are intended to be shared accommodations, with up to three scholars of the same gender sharing one house. Each scholar will be assigned one bedroom with a secure lock. All bedrooms have a bed with all linens (pillows, duvet, sheets, and blanket), bedside table, desk with chair, lamps, closet, and other furniture for storage. At check-in, scholars receive two extra sets of sheets, an extra blanket, and three sets of towels.
If a house is unoccupied and available, a scholar with accompanying dependents may be permitted to reside in the house for the duration of his or her stay in Bloomington.
Priority is given to scholars sponsored by the IU Office of International Partnerships or the IU Office of the Vice President for International Affairs. When space is available, other visitors may be permitted to stay in a house; the daily rate charged is USD $48.
Features of the Houses
- One full bathroom (shower/tub, sink, and toilet) on the second floor near the bedrooms
- One half bathroom (sink and toilet only) on the first floor near the kitchen
- Common living area with large-screen television
- Study on the first floor with a door that closes for privacy
- Dining room with a table that seats six people
- Kitchen with all standard appliances (refrigerator with filtered water, stove/oven, coffeemaker, toaster, and dishwasher), dish towels, cookware (pots, pans, and baking sheets), cooking utensils, glasses, silverware, and dishes (plates, saucers, bowls, and cups)
- Washer and dryer
- Iron and ironing board
- Cleaning supplies
- Laundry detergent for sheets and towels
- Professional house cleaning provided every two weeks
- Change and wash bedding and towels periodically during your stay
- Keep all common areas of the house clean after use (bathrooms, kitchen, living room, study, and dining room)
- Clean any kitchen items in a timely manner after use
- Place trash in a bin outside the back entrance to the house once per week
- Purchase your own food, beverages, and other supplies (including laundry detergent to wash personal clothing items)
- Ensure that any food or beverage items stored in the kitchen are labeled with your name or bedroom number
- Discard all personal food or beverage items before your departure
Scholars or other guests can be checked in only on weekdays (Monday through Friday) between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm. Check-in will not be possible on any holidays when administrative offices are closed. To schedule a check-in time, contact email@example.com at least two weeks prior to your intended arrival.
On the day of departure, scholars or other guests should leave the key in the lock of their bedroom door. Exit the house through one of the doors with an automatic lock (side or rear door of 708, front door of 715).