Incoming International Participants

IU welcomes you as a visiting exchange scholar

Congratulations on your selection to participate in the exchange program with Indiana University. There are several steps that you will need to complete to prepare for your arrival. It is imperative that you complete the forms as accurately as possible and provide all required supporting documentation that is requested.

Step 1: Complete the scholar information form

U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents (Green Card Holders)

If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you should complete the information form accessible below. You should be prepared to provide the following items on the form: exact arrival and departure dates; information about dependents who will accompany you; and statement (letter or email, saved as a PDF that you can upload) from an IU faculty member indicating that he or she will serve as your host for the duration of your visit. After you submit the form, you will receive instructions by email to upload and submit a scanned copy of the photo page from your passport and/or green card.

Start the form for U.S. citizens and permanent residents

Citizens and Residents of All Other Countries

In order for the Office of International Partnerships to initiate the application for your visa, you must complete and submit the information form for visiting exchange scholars. Before starting the form, you should confirm that you have all of the required items listed below.

  • Exact arrival and departure dates
  • Information about dependents who will accompany you
  • Proof of English proficiency if your native language is not English
  • Financial documentation
  • Statement from an IU faculty member indicating that he or she will serve as your host for the duration of your visit

Each of these items is described in greater detail below. Read each section carefully.

After you submit the form, you will receive instructions by email to upload and submit a scanned copy of your passport photo page. The scanned copy must be clear enough for staff to read all text on the page. Please check the expiration date of your passport to ensure it is valid for a minimum of six months after your intended departure date from the United States.

Exact arrival and departure dates

You should not begin the form until you have determined the exact dates of your intended visit. 

After the dates of your visit are set, we will initiate your J-1 scholar visa application and send you a link by email to complete the section for “Applicant Information.” After that section is completed, we will issue the Form DS-2019 or “Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status.” The form allows you to seek an interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate in order to obtain a J visa to enter the United States. Indiana University will send the DS-2019 to you by express mail.

It is imperative that scholars who receive housing from Indiana University list accurate arrival and departure dates for their visit. Failure to provide accurate dates could jeopardize your housing reservation. If the dates of your visit change after the form has been submitted, you should notify to see if housing will be available on those dates. 

Dependents who will accompany you

If a child, spouse, or other dependent will accompany you, you must provide each individual's name, date of birth, and relationship to you on the form. You must also upload a scanned copy of the passport photo page for each dependent.

If Indiana University provides your housing under the terms of the exchange agreement with your home institution and a dependent will be joining you, the Office of International Partnerships will see if space is available in one of IU's International Scholar Houses. If space is not available, you must find your own housing at your own expense. Indiana University is obligated only to provide housing for the individual scholar.

Proof of English proficiency

You can read more about the language proficiency requirement on the Office of International Services website. A letter (printed on official letterhead) from a qualified faculty or staff member indicating your proficiency in English will be sufficient; the international office at your university may be able to provide such a letter. Alternatively, you may request that a qualified faculty or staff member at your university interview you in English and complete an online form. If you choose to provide scores from an examination or copy of a language program certificate, such documentation must be less than one year old. Indiana University will not initiate your visa application until you have submitted proof of English proficiency. 

Financial documentation

  • In your acceptance letter, the Office of International Partnerships will let you know if any financial documentation is required for your visa. If documentation is required, you must upload current financial documentation that lists the sources and amounts of financial support you have secured for your program, totaling at least $1200 per month for the duration of your invitation. You may upload a letter from your home institution (on official letterhead) that states the financial support provided or a copy of a recent bank statement (preferably with the currency converted to U.S. dollars). No other documents will be accepted.
  • If you are bringing your spouse, unmarried children under the age of 21, or both, you must show access to $500 per month for the first dependent and $300 per month for each additional dependent.

Statement from an IU faculty host

You are required to get a statement (letter or email) from a current IU faculty member who agrees to serve as your host. You should save the letter or email as a PDF and upload it on the form. Emeritus faculty members cannot serve as hosts.

Start the information form for citizens/residents of all other countries

Save the cover letter that accompanies the DS-2019. It includes your IU identification number, required to create your IU email account and complete the check-in process upon arrival at IU.

Step 3: Complete pre-arrival form

Complete the pre-arrival form after you have booked your flight. On the form, you will be asked to provide your IU email address, flight details, anticipated date of arrival on campus, anticipated date of departure from campus, and housing information. Your completion of the form allows the Office of International Partnerships to confirm that all necessary preparations for your stay have been completed.

Start the pre-arrival form

Other useful resources to help prepare for your visit

Housing at Indiana University

IU provides on-campus housing (when available) to scholars from the following partner universities:

  • Ambedkar University Delhi (India)
  • Jagiellonian University (Poland)
  • University of Bayreuth (Germany)
  • University of Bologna (Italy)
  • University of Ghana (Ghana)
  • University of Hamburg (Germany)
  • University of Warsaw (Poland)
  • Yonsei University (South Korea)

Scholars from these universities will be assigned to one of IU's International Scholar Houses. If space is not available, the scholar may be assigned to other on-campus acommodations or provided a stipend to secure off-campus accommodations.

Visiting scholars from other partner universities not listed above should secure their own accommodations. To check the availability of on-campus options, contact the guest housing office (part of IU's Residential Programs and Services).

Ground Transportation from/to the Indianapolis International Airport

After you have booked your flight and know your arrival time at the Indianapolis International Airport (IND), you should arrange ground transportation to your apartment.

Bus services in Bloomington and Indianapolis

All visitors to the Bloomington and Indianapolis campuses may ride the campus buses free of charge.

Read about Bloomington bus services

Read about Indianapolis bus services

Visiting exchange scholars on the Bloomington campus will receive a bus pass to ride any City of Bloomington bus free of charge. Any accompanying dependents (spouses or children) must pay to ride a City of Bloomington bus.

Health insurance coverage

IU's Office of International Services has helpful online resources about the health insurance coverage offered through Indiana University.

Learn more about health insurance coverage